Sunday, January 28, 2007

Post-Rumble Thoughts '07

Just got back from watching the show with family and friends, and overall not a bad show tonight. No real surprises to speak of since everything pretty well went as I figured it would. And all 30 Rumble participants were announced beforehand so there weren't any surprise entrants this year. In fact, I think I went 5-0 with my predictions.

The Hardyz d. MNM: Not totally sure if it was a fued ender, but it was your standard Hardy tag match with most of the big spots for both sides. I hope it continues to 'Mania with at least one set of the tag straps involved (or both for unification, but that's too much to hope for), but I could see this being it for the tag side of things. Nitro vs. Jeff over the IC strap will likely continue, because who else have they got (and think is worth pushing? Carlito? Meh.)

Lashley d. Test by Countout: Because nothing says EXTREME like a countout. Terrible match that did nothing for either guy, and I'll get on the bandwagon now and say I don't expect ECW to last the year. This was worse than Holly and Lesnar or Angle and Henry.

Batista d. Kennedy: A surprisingly decent match, and much to my delight they really managed to get Kennedy over with the match. He actually dominated for a good portion of it, and though Batista won the match cleanly he sure sold a lot for him and for a few seconds there I thought Kennedy might take the title. 100% better than that whole Taker fued did for Kennedy, and Dave's best match since coming back.

John Cena d. Umaga: I'll take my foot out of my mouth, I enjoyed this match. It upped the brutality and was fun all around, and though I never really thought Cena would come close to losing the strap the whole thing came together and was much better than I expected it to be. Weird spot near the end where Armando used a wrench to undo the entire top rope all for Umaga to use as a weapon, when he could have just as easily given him the wrench in the first place. Inventive finish though, with Cena choking Umaga out like that.

Undertaker wins the Royal Rumble: It pretty much came down to who I thought it would with Rated RKO, Shawn Michaels and Taker as the final four, but it was fairly entertaining all the way through. Gregory Helms managed to last longer than 1 minute in the match, a personal best for him. CM Punk, RVD, Benoit and Finlay all got a decent amount of time during the match. Sandman was embarrassed with a 10 second appearance or so. Taker came out as #30 and won the match, which at least made Steve happy that for once the 30th guy won the match. All it says to me is Taker got his win with the least amount of work; right up there with Stone Cold in 2001. But oh well, still an entertaining match as usual.

Quick Raw Predictions: Based on what went down tonight, I say the Hardyz take on Rated RKO for the tag straps tomorrow (based on Matt and Jeff getting eliminated by Edge and Orton) and win the belts with HBKterference to throw RKO more firmly in the world title scene. Cena vs. Umaga one more time for the fugly WWE title to blow off the fued once and for all. And terrible comedy from Vince McMahon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home